Friday, March 15, 2013

Multi-Function Cards

I love a card design that can be used for any occasion...birthday, thinking of you, get well, congratulations, etc. I need to make a box of them, since I never seem to have the right card for the right moment.
 
     Case in point...it's my daughter-in-law's birthday soon and in looking through my stash of birthday cards, nothing really seemed appropriate for her. Then I noticed that The Play Date Cafe had a 'Splash' challenge using the colors Black, White and Coral (check it out here ). I love these colors, so thought I would use this challenge to make her a special birthday card.
 
 
     I didn't have the black and white DSP that I 'saw in my mind.'  However, I found a freebie at Gina K. Designs (click here) that was exactly what I wanted. I printed the design onto white cardstock.
     I stamped the flower images using VersaMark Watermark Ink and heat embossed it after applying clear embossing powder. Then I fussy-cut out the 3 flowers.
     I matted the black & white pattern to black cardstock, then onto coral cardstock and wrapped it all with a peach organza ribbon and bow. I then placed the entire piece onto a white card.
     I die-cut a scalloped circle and puffed up the large and one small flower to add dimension. The saying is computer-generated and matted onto a black scalloped oval (with puffies for dimension also).
 
     Inside, I continued the design, using another embossed flower matted onto a black circle. I added some of the DSP, matted onto black also.
 
 
     Hopefully she likes the card and realizes that it was made with love and specifically for her...which is so much nicer than just pulling a card out of my "stash". And I think this is one design that could be used for multiple occasions.


 

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! You really worked the color splash this week, so glad you joined us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, the black and white patterned paper makes the perfect base for those gorgeous flowers! Thank you for playing along with this week's Play Date Cafe Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Alicia and Anya. I loved the colors and the card actually came together as I pictured it in my mind (which doesn't happen all the time). Thanks for the great challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your words of encouragement keep me 'crafting.'