Monday, August 10, 2015

Children's Cards

I was inspired today by three Challenges.  

First inspiration came from Send a Smile 4 Kids and their CAS challenge (all cards must be for children).  I created 4 cards so I can add them to my box of cards  for this group that does so much to brighten a child's day.

 The other inspiration came from two "Anything Goes" Challenges:


I even remembered to take pictures along the way to show you my process in creating these cards.  So, sit back and enjoy.

Since one is a CAS challenge, I thought I'd keep it simple by embossing the cardstock image using this plastic shim:

But, the oval in the shim didn't match the Spellbinder's oval dies I had.  I know I could have made my own "shim," but at the time, that seemed like work.  So I improvised.  I printed the pre-colored image (Doodle pantry Poodles of Fun) 4 up on a page.  Then I cut an oval out of the 4" x 5-1/4" cardstock using the oval die. 


Next, I embossed just the outer piece.

I glued the embossed piece to a white card. Then glued the oval image back where it belonged.

Next, I used the next smaller and next larger ovals (I have both oval sets) to create the "frame."

Using the 3 different sizes of oval dies places the "frame" right over the center cut line...so you don't have to worry about seeing an embossed or cut edge. 

The sentiment is a personal creation and I've included it for download at the end of this post.   

These images are just too doggone cute. What child wouldn't love to have a Poodle card? 


Click on the image below, then right click to save the white background, png file.


Products used:
Poodles of fun
~Petite Ovals Large and Small Spellbinders Dies
~Stampin' Up! Large Oval and Scalloped Oval Punches
~Embossing Folders~Wired Fence and Dots
~Memento Lilac Posies Ink
~Stampin' Up! Calypso Coral Ink

11 comments:

  1. What a sweetie your image is! Such pretty colours too and I LOve this embossing folder. It's always a pleasure to see how other crafters make their cards.
    Thank you so much for joining us this week at QKR Stampede.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness these are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just crazy cute! Love the colourful poodles and your CAS workaround to get just the outside-the-frame part embossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great embossed backgrounds and great tutorial on frames. I have also used embossing diffusers to get the same effect if you want a one layer wonder. Thanks for joining in our SAS4Kids Challenge. This image is great and we love Doodle Pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tutorial, the wee lambie cards will brighten a child's day for sure. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday, in our 195th challenge.
    Blessings and Hugs, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable card set, Heather. Very cute and creative, and I appreciate that you showed us all your technique. Thanks for sharing your talents with us, and please join us again soon.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cards are adorable, Heather, and what a neat idea to use different colors and embossing folders -- these would make up into a great set of notecards. Happy to hear that these creations are headed to put smiles on children's faces !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the background embossing, Heather! These are going to be so appreciated. :-D I'm so glad to see you playing along in our "Anything Goes" challenge this week at QKR Stampede. Good luck and I hope we'll see you playing again soon.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmigosh! How clever to create your own embossed oval frame. The images are just cute as can be and you're right - what kid wouldn't want a poodle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute cards & I love the different embossing folders used. Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede. Karal DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those poodles and what a great way to do the frames! Thanks for taking pictures along the way Heather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your words of encouragement keep me 'crafting.'